Back to TEXIN main page
English (change language?) | Time in China: 08:21PM Friday, August 18, 2017
Welcome! Please register or log-in
Main Page About us Services Chinese Products E-Catalogue™ Logistics Contact us China Forums
  All about China | Chinese Culture
   Learn from others all about China and it's culture, and share your own China experiences with everybody else

Posted by:
admin

Post date:
2012-10-22
Double 9 Festival 2012

Bookmark and Share

Tomorrow (23rd October 2012) marks the annual Double Nine Festival (Chóng jiǔ jié 重九節) in China and other parts of Asia. Set every year on the ninth day of the ninth month in the Chinese (lunar) calendar.

Traditionally the Double Nine festival is a very important day where activities include climbing mountains (hiking), playing outside, visiting the tombs of departed ancestors and drinking chrysanthemum wine or nowadays chrysanthemum tea, and also wear the “zhuyu” flower.

According to Yi Jing a classical Chinese text, the number nine is a yang number and is therefore a dangerous date which is why it is sometimes referred to as “double yang festival” (Chóngyáng jié 重陽節) it is said that one day a man named Huan Jing believed that a monster bringing pestilence was coming. He told his countrymen to hide on a hill while he went to defeat the monster. Later, people celebrated Huan Jing’s defeat of the monster on the ninth day of the ninth lunar month. It is for that reason that people go outside or climb mountains on this day.

The reason for drinking chrysanthemum wine and wearing the “zhuyu” flower is because they have special healing powers in TCM and can also be used to air out houses.

A famous poem that is often read on this day is called "Double Ninth, Missing My Shandong Brothers" by Wang Wei (王維).

The poem reads;

On the ninth day of the ninth month, I remember my brothers from Shan Dong.
As a lonely stranger in a foreign land,
At every holiday my homesickness increases.
Far away, I know my brothers have reached the peak;
They are planting flowers, but one is not present.

九月九日憶山東兄弟
jiǔ yuè jiǔ rì yì shān dōng xiōng dì
獨在異鄉為異客,
dú zài yì xiāng wéi yì kè
每逢佳節倍思親.
měi féng jiā jié bèi sī qīn
遙知兄弟登高處,
yáo zhī xiōng dì dēng gāo chù
遍插茱萸少一人.
biàn chā zhū yú shǎo yī rén

Reply to this post
Want to comment on this subject?
Register or Login Now!
Threads 1 - 1 from 1
Quick navigation: | About us | Services | Chinese Products E-Catalogue™ | Logistics | Contact us | China Forums | News | Terms and conditions | Sitemap |

See this page in the following languages also:
English 中文 (Chinese) Deutsch (German) Italiano (Italian) Español (Spanish) Română (Romanian) Русский (Russian)
TEXIN LIMITED Copyright © 2007 - 2017 - TEXIN LIMITED (Hong Kong)
Website design & concept by the TEXIN LIMITED Marketing Team
Texin.biz logo & " Making the world seem smaller" slogan are propriety of TEXIN LTD.
Logos of sea or air carriers are proprieties of their respective owners
Call us:

From 9AM to 5PM (GMT +8) China Time
Time in China: 08:21PM
Follow us:
Facebook
Twitter
Linked in
Google+